Monday 23 September 2013

Helping Depression with Vitamin B

this lens' photo

Can Vitamin B help with the treatment of Depression?....my story

After the birth of my beautiful daughter I spiralled down into Post-Natal Depression. I didn't actively seek help until my daughter was two years old and by this time my depression was deeply ingrained and I had reached rock bottom. A visit to my GP (and I would always suggest that your GP should be your first port of call if your are suffering from depression) diagnosed the problem and a course of antidepressants and I was put on the waiting list for counselling. In the first instant the relief to have been diagnosed was overwhelming and family life became easier but it was the counselling that opened my eyes to vitamin B. My councillor, Angela, suggested a strong vitamin B supplement to take in conjunction with the antidepressants.

Eventually my equilibrium was restored and I was able to come off the antidepressants and I stop the vitamin B.....but I slipped back into depression. A demanding job, running a home and my partners shift work took its toll. That's when the vitamin B came into its own. Rather than going back onto prescribed medication I took a high dose of vitamin B. The effects have been marvellous, I feel reinvigorated, calmer and alive. It doesn't solve everything but I can tell that when I stop taking them my mood slips back. The effect has for me personally (and remember every one is different, and what works for one may not necessarily work for every one) has been so good I wanted to share my story and investigate further. This is what I have found our about this wonderful vitamin complex.
 

Can Vitamin B help Sufferers with Depression?

Some Scientists believe so


Vitamin B supplements may help people to fight depression, research suggests. The depression website depression-guide.com has these comments.

Scientists have found that people with depression responded better to treatment if they had high levels of vitamin B12 in their blood. They suggest taking vitamin B supplements may be a way to boost the effectiveness of anti-depressants. The research, by Kuopio University in Finland, is published in the journal BMC Psychiatry. The research involved the monitoring of 115 outpatients who were undergoing treatment for depression for more than a six-month period. They measured vitamin B12 levels in the patients' blood when they first came to the clinic, and again at their six-month check up.
The patients who responded fully to treatment had higher concentrations of vitamin B12 in their blood at both the start and the end of the study than those for whom treatment was less effective. The association remained significant even after other factors such as smoking and drinking habits, type of treatment received, and family history of depression were taken into consideration. From this it can be said that taking a supplement to keep Vitamin B levels up would be beneficial.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you