Monday 5 January 2015

Hand Hooked, Rag Rug Lunch Bags

Every year as most of my friends know, I try to make some Christmas presents. This year was no different, despite the groans of guess what we will all be getting for Christmas when I announced I had just been on my life changing rag rug course (it truly was life changing but that's a story for another day).

I decided on lunch bags, partly because they would be simple, and partly because, well everyone eats lunch and there are few people I know that can afford to dine out and a little packed lunch seems to be the meal of choice.

I'm no seamstress so I sourced the pre-made bags from a little company selling organically and ethically grown hemp bags for a very fair price.

Then set about making the embellishments. Choosing fabrics and colours that I felt suited the recipients. Where possible I used recycled materials and off-cuts. Rag rug flowers are perhaps the most satisfying elements to make, with taking probably less than half an hour to finish each flower. After completing a flower for each bag, it looked a bit lost and I ended up making 4 flowers per bag and quadrupling the making time but they did look more balanced and maybe because of the extra effort they became a little more of a substantial gift. Then using my trusty glue gun fixed them to the bag. (there are loads of clips on YouTube on how to make them)

Well I'm not sure whether everyone will use them but I know I enjoyed making them and every petal was made with love and best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you