Friday 17 October 2014

Gorgeous Glass Fridge Magnets

These simple fridge magnets make use of all those gorgeous gardening magazines and catalogues.

Such a simple idea using your favourite magazine images and floristry glass nuggets.

The optical properties of the glass nuggets naturally magnify the images behind, making eye-catching almost 3-D pictures. The glass nuggets I used were fractionally larger than a 5pence piece but you can get a range of cabochons and glass nuggets specifically for this sort of use from most good craft shops. I went for the floristry nuggets because I like the unique slightly irregular shapes but you may prefer something a little more symmetrical, I also had some in the cupboard!

1. Using a five pence piece I cut out the images from various magazines and comics.
2. Using watered down PVA or Modge Podge and a paint brush lightly paint the face of the image.
3. Place the glass nugget on the face of the image and push down firmly until the image changes from milky white to a clear picture, carefully squeezing out any air bubbles.
4. Wipe away any excess glue
5. When dry fix magnetic sheet cut to shape (again available from good craft shops).

I made these ones for a craft stall I had back in the summer.

 
For another craft idea using old seed catalogues and magazines see my post on making and Autumn Bounty Bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you